Brainsell.com Privacy Statement  |  Site Map  |  Blog

Contact Us

1-978-887-3870

May 4, 2010 [ 19 Comments ]

SugarCRM vs. Salesforce – Facts are Stubborn Things

Posted by: Sonja Fridell
Tags: , , ,

sugarcrm beats salesforce2010 SugarCon speaker Jan Sysmans, Director of Product Marketing at SugarCRM, made a very compelling SugarCRM vs. Salesforce argument. Below are some of his points.

SugarCRM’s Flexibility is Superior

* With SugarCRM, you can… easy drag and drop UI for customization. Create your own integrations in PHP (open language) – Salesforce has a proprietary language (NOT open source).

* SugarCRM has… 5,000+ integrations with other applications – Salesforce has under   1,000

* SugarCRM has no limitations to the number of custom modules and work flow – Salesforce DOES have limits

* Sugar Pro comes with Free Mobile (read and write). Salesforce.com charges extra for read/write mobile. Their free mobile is read-only.

With SugarCRM, you get more Control

* With SugarCRM, every customer has their own database – Salesforce users share one multi-tenant database.

* SugarCRM does weekly database backups with object relationships intact – Salesforce only does monthly backups without object relationships (they’ll charge you if you want to back up more frequently)

* With SugarCRM, you’re free to deploy on-demand or on-site or virtual private cloud and easily move your deployment from on-demand to on-site – Salesforce is locked into a Salesforce data center – that’s not very nice.

PRICING

SugarCRM Professional Edition = $30/user/month

Salesforce Enterprise Edition  =    $125/user/month

SugarCRM Enterprise Edition =    $50/user/month

Salesforce Unlimited Edition  =     $240/user/month

You be the judge…

Download BrainSell’s SugarCRM vs. Salesforce.com White Paper Here

salesforce.com vs. sugarcrm

19 Comments »

1. Sugarcrm professional is 360×5=$1,800.00

Where do you get $30.00 a month?

Thanks!

Comment by Sean — May 16, 2010 @ 2:52 am

2. Hi Sean, Sugar is $30 per user per month. It is correct that you need to buy a minimum of 5 licences; still, it’s a fraction of SF. If you only need one user, both Sugar AND SalesForce may not be appropriate options for you.

Comment by Sonja Fridell — May 17, 2010 @ 1:53 pm

3. Its never easy shelling out $30 for each required license and trying to swallow this price as a bargain. It pays to be frugal these days and to think hard about your CRM software as a whole. There are other choices out there, this is another stubborn fact to consider when choosing the right CRM for your biz.

Comment by MaureenHaigh — May 26, 2010 @ 5:50 pm

4. Hi Maureen, most find Sugar to have tremendous value for the modest price. It’s always good to learn about new products! Sign up for our free trial of Sugar today

Comment by Sonja Fridell — May 26, 2010 @ 6:02 pm

5. @Sonja If you only need one user, Sugar has the OPEN SOURCE FREE community version. Sugar would still be an option, but if you only need it for one person, then your a small company and sugar would be best to help you grow as a small company.

Comment by Joey — June 29, 2010 @ 6:21 pm

6. Thanks for the reply Joey. The Community edition is nice, but very limited compared to the paid version. Talk to a reseller like us to get less than 5 users, it’s known to happen sometimes (-=

Comment by Sonja Fridell — July 1, 2010 @ 5:47 pm

7. Our company uses Salesforce and have quite a few licenses. the thing with Salesforce (not sure if this is the same as Sugar) is that it is so complicated?!! Plus their after sales service has been pretty poor.

I haven’t been impressed. I used an old style crm at a previous company (non cloud) and it was awesome! So simple to use and fool proof. Does anyone else find SF or Sugar complex?

I don’t mean to knock them, but I am not convinced that SF is the best CRM at all. (Of course it is handy because it is cloud…)

Comment by CRMUSER — March 12, 2011 @ 1:03 am

8. Thanks for the input! We’ve been hearing some gripes about SFDC being complicated to customize simple things like drop downs. Check out Sugar! People have been telling us it’s much more user friendly. You might have used ACT! in the past, it’s mostly on premise but they have ACT! for web now, and it’s been getting good reviews!

Comment by Sonja Fridell — March 14, 2011 @ 6:10 pm

9. We bought our CRM from http://www.apextwo.com one year ago and it works great. We use the Pro Edition for our 5 users. It works fine, but what I see as very valuable was the assistance I received from ApexTwo. Brian made sure my edition was made to my liking and that all of my reporting was in place.

Great Service, BTW we saved a bunched agaisnt SalesForce

Comment by Mike — May 19, 2011 @ 7:09 pm

10. I will follow the above guidelines. Thank you so much for this great contribution.

Comment by CRM software — May 24, 2011 @ 11:57 am

11. I am so disappointed after evaluating SugarCRM against Salesforce and others to find out that there is a five user minimum. Its not anywhere on the site. I had to add a subscription to my cart to find this out. I only need one user and have been using ACT. Had decided Sugar CRM was for me, but due to the five user minimum looks like its Salesforce for me…

Comment by Scott Horsfield — August 18, 2011 @ 9:22 pm

12. Hi Scott,
    Too bad!!! Partners like us sell less than 5 users of Sugar. We even wrote a blog post on it!

Comment by Sonja Fridell — August 19, 2011 @ 12:58 pm

13. What kind of API does sugarCRM expose… i develop on the salesoforce platform and i can pretty much develop any type of application on force.com platform using their Apex scripting language (java-like) and i can expose whatever through their APIs, so i can write external apps in any language and integrate with salesforce effortlessly… through these APIs I can Do my own backups (so i can have my data in my data center), I can create new tables (via meta data api), I can create work flow rules, I can even create a nice drag drop interface for clients that want rich UI, i can do offline mode on mobile…. The only thing sugarCRM has on salesforce is pricing…Not sure if having customers on separate databases is a good idea from a maintainability point of view for sugarCRM… I can go on and on, but I don’t have any experience with sugarCRM, can someone give real advantages of sugarCRM over salesforce…

Comment by Kunle — October 24, 2011 @ 5:28 pm

14. Hi Kunle,
    Your perspective as a developer is a great one. Sugar has a totally complete API as well, and the language is PHP. From a customer standpoint, it’s easier and usually less expensive to find a PHP developer than an Apex developer. Sugar does their own backups for customers, at no charge, and they will give customers a relational database if they choose to leave (something tough to get from SFDC). There are lots more apps for Sugar than SFDC (due to more people knowing PHP and Sugar’s open source nature). You can create the same workflows, dropdowns and edits in Sugar. You’re right, the biggest difference besides the code is Price. And our clients are loving that. Sugar is 1/4 the price of SFDC. Can’t beat that.

Comment by Sonja Fridell — October 24, 2011 @ 5:43 pm

15. Fair enough Sonja, thanks for the information. Much appreciated.

Comment by Kunle — October 24, 2011 @ 10:00 pm

16. Nice Post. SugarCRM is more cost effective than salesforce CRM. Thanks for posting.

Comment by SugarCRM Developer — December 15, 2011 @ 10:55 am

17. Thank you! Glad you found it helpful.

Comment by Sonja Fridell — December 16, 2011 @ 2:36 pm

18. I have been using SFDC for about 3 years now, and I am pretty happy with it.

Our problem is that we work outsourcing sales people, and one of our biggest contracts is about to expire. SFDC requires for us to buy licenses for 1 year, and our customer might not renew or drop the contract at any time. W

e have about 120 users, enterprise edition + mobile in that project, and thinking about loosing that amount of money makes me think twice at this moment. Does Sugar CRM allow to work on a month to month Software as Service modality or it also sells as annual contracts? can you lower the amount of licenses at any moment or as is SalesForce the only way to go is up? thanks.

Comment by Metalsilor — December 18, 2011 @ 10:57 pm

19. You can’t go month to month with Sugar, but the cost savings with Sugar over SFDC is incredible.

Sugar Pro (about same feature set as SFDC Enterprise) is $30/user/mo
    120 users @ $360/year = $43,200/year
    120 users @ $1500/year = $180,000/year

That’s a savings of $136,800 per year. Not including the cost savings of mobile, since that’s included in Sugar Pro for free (a read/write version, which is a vast improvement from SFDC’s read-only free version).

Comment by Sonja Fridell — December 19, 2011 @ 2:57 pm

RSS feed for comments on this post.